Sunday, June 28, 2009

Emacs splash-screen

So one fine day, I grew tired of the emacs splash-screen. You try to edit a file and emacs shows its splash-screen instead of the file contents and then you have to "Press any key to continue". So one day it got on my nerves and I decided that if I don't find a way to disable it, I am going to switch to vi. But, how can an editor as customisable as emacs NOT have an option to disable the splashscreen? Ofcourse it does! and it was the first result on my google search! (probably there are just too many people in this world irritated by the splashscreen, why doesn't emacs just do away with it?)

Simply add this line to your .emacs file:
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

1 comment:

Vedang said...

infact, there is even an option on the splashscreen itself. there's a small checkbox which allows you to turn it off.